Pumpkin Cake with Sultanas

For some reason I ended up having excess pumpkin in the fridge.  The first thing I did was share with Mum and Dad.  Next idea was to use some for baking as we were due for another cake or slice.  It didn't take long before I came across this wonderful recipe on the My Little Italian Kitchen site.

The result is this golden, moist and delicious cake.

Pumpkin Cake with Sultanas.


Ingredients
400g cooked pumpkin
2 cups sultanas
4 eggs, room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar 
Splash of rum, brandy or milk - I used milk
125ml olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon 
Pinch of salt 
2½ cups plain flour plus extra if needed, sifted
4 teaspoons baking powder, sifted

Grease and line a round cake tin.

Preheat oven to 160° fan forced.

Puree the pumpkin with a stick mixer and set aside.

Place the sultanas into a sieve and rinse under warm water until they start to soften and become plump.  Drain and then place onto a towel to dry a little.


Place the sultanas back into a dry sieve and lightly coat with flour.  This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.



Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and lightly whisk.  Add the caster sugar and whisk together.  Add the liquor or milk, olive oil, zest and juice of lemon, salt, pumpkin, sultanas, plain flour and baking powder.  Mix well with a wooden spoon.

Depending on the moisture of the pumpkin you may need to add more flour at this step.  I added another 4 tablespoons.  The mixture should fall heavily from the wooden spoon.

Pour mixture into prepared pan.



Cook for approximately 40-45 minutes.  Keep an eye on it whilst cooking making sure it is not browning too much on top as the centre needs time to cook properly.  Remove from the oven when a skewer comes out clean.


Cool and then slice.

This cake is just as soft and moist the next day.  





7 comments

  1. That's a beautiful cake. It looks so authentic. I bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodmorning Kylie, that cake looks like pure sunshine! It would be sweet and light. Have a lovely day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a similar recipe Kylie, which is pumpkin and prune cake. I'll try it with the sultanas next time just for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie, the cake looks very moist. I am going to make some pumpkin soap one of these days. I won't be eating any though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this today Kylie and it is delicious and moist. I must admit I used butter instead of olive oil. Any time I have baked with olive oil I have been very disappointed and felt I wasted my girls' precious eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it also works with butter. I’m so happy you enjoyed it Jo.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top