Our Busy Little Home Catch-Up

Firstly a little update on our Samson.  He has finished his pain relief medication for his Osteoarthritis and is doing well as far as comfort is concerned which is a good sign.  The lump is there which I look at every day hoping for some miracle.  Being winter wouldn't be helping and the bone has been affected as per the x-ray.    He is running around, teasing the chickens, digging holes and well just being the Samson we love.  All happy in the Samson corner.





Always exercising as keeping him at a healthy weight is important - currently 38kg.


We have been quite fortunate with the weather lately.  The evenings and mornings are certainly very crispy however the sun has been shining through and the days are very pleasant.  One thing I really love is fog.  I find it creates a little sound buffer and everything is so quiet.  Yesterday was especially foggy and we thoroughly enjoyed our morning walk.  Such a great way for the kids to start their school day.  Samson loves every second and I also enjoy chatting with the kids and that fresh morning air.


The mornings are so good.

Samson and I had a very early start on the weekend and the sky was such a beautiful colour.  

Mornings have so much to offer.

Our clever chickens have been keeping well and working very hard.  We are collecting five eggs most days now.  They still insist on using that 'special box.'  Curiosity got the better of me and I just had to know how they do this.  Had a little peak this morning and poor Harriett was trying to lay whilst Annie was hurrying her along.  Looks like Eggsy was next in line waiting on the floor.  Behind me was Candy.  Bit of a wait I'm afraid Candy.

No pressure Harriett.  Poor girl.

I went back about one hour later and four eggs were sitting in the 'special box.'  Floss will have it all to herself later.



I was able to send Mum home with half a dozen eggs yesterday which I love doing.

I'm currently sprouting barley which I just can't wait to give to the girls.  Learning so much and just enjoying it all.

Our veggies and Hellebores are moving along in the right direction.  Slow but steady.  I checked the PH of the lemon tree and Hellebores last week and found the lemon tree was around a six which is fine.  The Hellebores on the other hand needed a little help.  I've added some lime to the soil to reduce the acidity.  That almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about - all trial and error for me.  So far though they seem happy with the little boost.  Not sure about others but I find it tricky comparing the soil test with the chart.  I do my best with working out the range.


Top sample from the lemon tree and bottom the Hellebores.

My favourite colour.

Cauliflowers are popping up and slowly but surely getting bigger.  The cabbage is also moving along.  The broccoli is certainly my favourite.  So many are now starting to form however the original looks almost ready for harvesting.  I believe it won't get much bigger than this and to harvest before the florets separate.  It will be the best tasting broccoli we've ever had.


Romanesco Broccoli.

Busy little backyard once again and such a great place to be.  I find it so calming with Samson, the girls, the garden and this beautiful winter sunshine.

Inside our home there is always something cooking creating warmth and those beautiful aromas.  We have also been reducing our waste and I'm surprised how empty our rubbish bin has been the last few weeks.  Our local papers were delivered yesterday which have now been turned into little bin liners.  


The extent of my origami skills.

The first reaction from everyone was 'there so small.'  Exactly.  Time to think about your waste.  Eggshells are crushed ready for the chickens, fruit and veggie scraps for the chickens, paper and cardboard recylcing, soft plastics returned to Coles.  So much to learn and share on this topic which will be in a new post soon.

Such a happy type of busy enjoying everything about our home.





18 comments

  1. Your hellebores are beautiful, Kylie. Such pretty blooms! Glad that Samson is going well, that he's enjoying those morning walks. Our Sir Steve dog loves his daily walks too, he practically does turns himself inside out whenever anyone touches his lead! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they're all the same. Had to smile as Samson seems to get more excited by people giving him attention than the dogs themselves. They certainly make you feel good.

      Delete
  2. I'm interested to hear about those bin liners Kylie. Your morning walks look really peaceful, there is something magical about fog I think. I always feel set up for the day when I go for a morning walk. I think your blog is great, I'm going to really enjoy reading here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda.
      I will be posting about reducing waste and will include instructions on the bin liners. It was actually quite relaxing sitting there folding.

      Delete
  3. It looks so beautiful where you live. I love the photo of Samson on the path. The plants all look so healthy, too. Keep up the great work, Kylie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to have great walking areas directly across the road. I love that path too. Getting up to it is fun too, climbing 🙂.

      Delete
  4. Samson is such a lovable old boy. I hope his leg heals soon. You might get the chook to lay in another nest if you cover it with something. They usually choose the darkest nest. Your garden is looking great. :- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. I'll hang a few strips of fabric and see how that goes. In hindsight may have been better with grey or black boxes.

      Delete
  5. Your broccoli romanesco is beautiful! I haven't had any luck with it (I'm in Florida, USA). I know it grow here, because very occasionally I'm lucky enough to find some at the farmer's market, which is how I know it's delicious, but when we try to grow it, the plant gets enormous but never flowers/forms a head. Not sure what we're doing wrong, but we've done it for two seasons now. I'd like to buy more seeds and see if third time's the charm, maybe this fall.

    I'll be interested to read more about your efforts to reduce waste, as that's something we're trying to work on here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope you have success with your broccoli. Third time lucky - fingers crossed. I'm really looking forward to tasting it this weekend.
    Looking forward to posts of our journey to reduce waste. Always so much more to learn.
    Thankyou for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful home garden! It looks so relaxing and rejuvenating. Your dog and chooks are super cute too. I felt like I just took a delightful meander through your lovely gargen as you explained all the goings on there. It was most pleasant indeed! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always smile when chooks have names, never ever name them myself. Glad the dog is going okay he looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to the post on the newspaper bin liners and waste reduction. I hand shred all my paper and cardboard, usually while sitting in front of the TV, that way I feel like I'm not wasting time watching TV ;), and it goes in the compost, I've only started seriously doing this in the past 2 months or so, but the dint it has put in my recycle bin is incredible! I saw a Youtube clip recently of someone making an origami bin liner, but it looked awfully complicated.

    Lovely post, it reminded me of my days a little (when I don't have to be at work that is)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cheryl.
      I'll post the instructions for the liners at some stage. They are quite simple which suits me. They remind me of those little sailor hats we would make as kids.
      Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  10. I grew broccoli for the first time this year and was quite proud of the heads I harvested. I was curious if you could eat the leaves and now I know and will have to try sautéing them. I never heard of the romanesco broccoli it is beautiful so I am going to try and find where I can get some seeds here in the US. Any ideas? I too am curious how to make the bin liners. Have a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew the broccoli from seedlings which I purchased from a local plant nursery. Do you have a plant nursery who may be able to advise you? I hope you have success because it really is a beautiful broccoli.
    I've tried growing some veggies from seeds however back to the drawing board for me. I'll get there though.
    Thanks so much for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you keep the caterpillars off you broccoli Kylie? I am going to have to cover all my brassica's with insect netting, otherwise I am just wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've been lucky there Lyndie. They have nibbled through a few leaves here and there but that's about it. The chickens then enjoy eating those leaves.
    I hope the netting works well for you and keeps them out so you can grow your broccoli as it gives just so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top