My Very First Broccoli - Patch to Plate

Today I harvested a Romanesco Broccoli from our veggie patch.  This was my first time growing broccoli and it has given me such a boost and great feeling.



I cut the stem on a diagonal and noticed a few more little broccoli heads have already started growing.

I keep looking at this photo - makes me feel so happy and proud.


Even though you may only get the one main head you are then rewarded with the tiny new growth plus an abundance of leaves.  The leaves will be trimmed from the base a few at a time and used in cooking as well as sharing with the chickens.

Since this broccoli is very special being my first I wanted to do it justice and was inspired by a recipe I found on the River Cottage website.  The result is a bowl full of delicious goodness which we have all tried.

After trimming the leaves and washing I cut off the little florets and then also chopped the stem into pieces.  I had just over 100g of florets which I boiled for a few minutes and then drained.  The chopped stems were then added to the water and also boiled until just ready.  I've already added some of the stems to my veggies at lunchtime and keep popping bits into my mouth.  

Next I roughly chopped about 30g of cashews and toasted on a hot frying pan until browned.  You can leave them whole however as I only had a small amount I wanted them spread about a little.  Once ready I removed them into a bowl and added some olive oil, chilli flakes and one chopped garlic clove to the frying pan.  After about one minute I returned the cashews to the pan along with the broccoli.  A few minutes later we had a very tasty dish.




Once we had all tried the broccoli and cashews I moved onto the leaves.  Firstly I removed the centre stem and then sliced by rolling the leaves together in a sausage shape.  Using the same pan which had bits of cashews and other flavours I added a little extra olive oil and fried a finely chopped garlic clove with chopped rosemary leaves.  The broccoli leaves were then added and tossed until cooked.  About 5 minutes.  Another tasty bowl of goodness.


Broccoli leaves.

The chickens have also enjoyed their broccoli leaves.  I've just checked on them and everything has disappeared. 

The colour is so vibrant.

Later this morning I walked inside with four warm eggs from our girls.  Hard to put into words the feelings of growing and producing your own food.  I feel so happy, proud and am so excited to continue on this journey.  One of the most rewarding feelings.

12 comments

  1. I love the colour of the broccoli and the look of it, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the colour is just beautiful Sharyn.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea you could eat broccoli leaves!! I will be trying that as soon as mine are harvested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get so much out of the one broccoli plant Cheryl. I've been using the leaves from the broccoli I buy from the farmers market and now I have my own. Pity the supermarkets cut them off, such a waste. Enjoy your leaves 🙂

      Delete
  3. The best feeling in the world, isn't it Kylie! That broccoli looks beautiful and I'm sure it tasted good too. I remember when one of our chickens laid her first egg and we all sat down to admire the fried egg before my daughter gobbled it up! We were all so excited, and now we appreciate our fresh eggs every day. I say thank you to the chooks every time I collect an egg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me Belinda. I let our girls know how clever they are. I remember dividing our first egg into four. Just looking after the chickens and seeing them so happy and healthy is rewarding in itself.

      Delete
  4. You are doing so well with your gardening, cooking, and raising chickens. I'm impressed. Everything is so connected. Chickens sure like garbage disposals. They provide great fertilizer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still waiting for our first lot of fertiliser. It's a little slow but is moving along. So healthy for the garden.

      Delete
  5. You should be so proud Kylie. It's wonderful to have home grown veggies. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much and I am proud. It really gives you that boost of confidence too.

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic! I love broccoli It is so rewarding and the whole plant is edible-including the leaves and stems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a great feeling to pick fresh vegies from your own garden...wonderful for you to be harvesting your own broccoli now. It tastes different when you grow it yourself I reckon! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top