Menu Plan 30th July - 5th August

The kids have had a great week of meals.  Once again many of their all time favourites.  It all started with their traditional Spaghetti Bolognese on Sunday night.  So easy as I had made a double batch the previous week which I pulled out of the freezer on Saturday.  Topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese plus a little cheese in between the pasta and sauce as a surprise.

My daughter and I also made a Raspberry Coconut Slice from 'The Country Table' cookbook on Sunday afternoon.

I remember Mum making this one.



Train Smash Mornay kept everyone happy on Monday night and I managed to freeze the leftovers for another night.  This really is a great recipe.


Train Smash Mornay

Our daughter made this delicious No Crumb Muesli Slice at school as well so plenty of homemade goodies.


I'm so happy she has chosen Food Technology as one of her subjects.

Another favourite Tuesday night was Beef Stroganoff.  Everyone loves this one and it is very filling.

Beef Stroganoff.

As we had another night at school Wednesday we had leftovers.  The kids were more than happy to have reheated Beef Stroganoff.  I on the other hand had a salad with poached eggs from our chickens.  Mastering a great poached egg is something I've been working on and this attempt is my closest so far.  I think having fresh eggs has helped a lot.  I stirred the water to make a little whirlpool and carefully slide the eggs into the centre.


Just need them a little more 'runny' next time - very close though.


I had this great idea Thursday afternoon to make the kids Cheesymite Scrolls.  The big plan was to have them coming out of the oven as they walked through the door.  After working out my timing I started the dough just before 3pm.  Ten minutes later the rain came down.  'Oh great' was my first thought.  Now the race was on as I needed to pick them up and knew the school traffic would be crazy.  Somehow I managed to have them on the trays rising by 3.25pm and the oven heating when I raced out the door.

Once home I popped them into the oven and 15 minutes later they had lovely warm rolls for afternoon tea.  I had a lovely floury kitchen to clean up.  Seeing how much they enjoyed them made it all worth it.

Cheesymite and Vegemite Scrolls.

It was such a cold day Thursday and with that rain later on only made the warmth and aroma of bread baking even more cosy.  

Once I had cleaned up my mess I made a warm batch of porridge for the chickens and then got onto dinner.  These Chicken and Ricotta Meatballs are delicious.

These meatballs are so tasty.

Our 'Pizza Night' as always on Friday.  They never tire of homemade pizzas.  I also made a Hummingbird Cake from 'The Country Table' cookbook.  I've always been intrigued by this cake and have finally made one.  It has a beautifully moist and super soft texture.


Hummingbird Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.
I'm working through a section of 'The Country Table' and making each recipe in order.  Only one recipe stands between me and that Sponge Cake now.  Mum has dropped off her sponge cake tins so I'm all ready.  

Saturday was such a great day as I harvested my very first Romanesco Broccoli.  That amazing feeling is still with me and I believe will be for a long time.

The colour gets me every time - it's beautiful.

My daughter also spent some time in the kitchen on Saturday making Snickers Bliss Balls from Belinda's new blog 'A Truly Content Life.'


Snickers Bliss Balls

One of the best parts.

Dinner was a normal mixture of this and that.  Pizzas were finished, the broccoli dish and also the last of the scrolls.  Plenty of fresh ingredients for a salad as well.

I also made a double batch of bolognese sauce Saturday afternoon ready for Sunday's dinner plus the freezer.  Always tastes better the next day too.

Loaded with veggies.

A great week of favourites.  Looking forward to next week with some more favourites plus planning on a little change on our pizza night - sssssh.








  

17 comments

  1. g'day, have come across from Rhonda's blog, excellent reading & loved all the food & meal times.
    hope Samson keeps improving too, arthritis is not fun to live with.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and I'm so happy you have visited and enjoy my posts. Thankyou for your lovely comment and I look forward to sharing with you.

      Delete
  2. Boy, you don't have a lazy bone in your body! I am amazed at how much cooking and baking you do in one week! I think you could have your own cooking show on television. Everything looks fabulous, especially the meatballs and the hummingbird cake. (cute name.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love cooking. It is my treat and gets me going to get other jobs done as I then reward myself with some good home cooking.
      Those meatballs are yum.

      Delete
  3. Kylie, Stephenie is right, you should have a cooking show on TV. All those dishes look so yummy. I just want to taste a piece of that cake, it looks so moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if my dishes are cooking show worthy. Can just imagine it though - makes me smile,

      Delete
  4. Goodness me, Kylie...you do a lot of cooking at your place. Some yummy meals though so it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and the comments and responses from the kids are the best. They were eating their spaghetti bolognese last night and said 'Mum, you have to put this recipe on your blog because it's really good.' That makes cooking even more enjoyable.

      Delete
  5. Yummmm!!! So much variety and deliciousness here. Your daughter definitely has a great tutor for the food tech subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of wonderful, nourishing homemade food ... you can't do better than that, I reckon! Some great meal ideas, Kylie. Yum! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Meg. Can't beat homemade and my husband and kids are always grateful.

      Delete
  7. Oh, raspberry coconut slice! Such an oldie but a drop dead goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered your blog via Rhonda @ Down to Earth. Loving your blog! Just the type of blog I can read all day; all about home cooking. Just thought I'd say hello from over here in the UK. Off to continue reading your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big welcome to you Karen and thank you so much for your lovely, encouraging words. Enjoy.

      Delete
  9. Oh I am so glad you enjoyed those Snickers Bliss Balls! And thanks for adding my link :-)
    We have been making scrolls too, I bet your kids were pleased to have something warm from the oven on that cold rainy day. Lucky kids, to have a Mum like you. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try doing the scrolls with apple and walnut next. Mmmmm I think they'll like those. Thanks for your lovely comment too Belinda.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top