Boiled Fruit Cake

Moving along through my favourite cookbook 'The Country Table'.  I'm making each recipe in order under the 'See you at three' section.  

Next up Economical Boiled Fruit Cake.  I made this cake on Monday which was a very cold and wet day here.  Having the cake warming the kitchen and that aroma wafting through the house felt so cosy.  Once the cake had cooked I covered it with foil and let it sit overnight.  

The following morning I removed it from the pan and placed it into my glass cake stand with dome lid.  There is something about these stands that make a cake look even better.  Reminds me of the displays in cafes.

Boiled Fruit Cake

Ingredients
500g mixed dried fruit
220g brown sugar
125g butter, chopped
½ cup water
1 teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon bicarb soda
½ cup sweet sherry - alternatively you could use brandy or rum
1 egg
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted

Stir the dried fruit, sugar, butter, water, mixed spice and bicarb soda together in a large saucepan over a low heat.  During this time make sure the mix does not boil.  Stir until the butter has melted and sugar has dissolved.  Now gently bring it to the boil.

Once boiling reduce heat and simmer covered for five minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in sherry (alternatively brandy or rum).  Cool to room temperature.



Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced.  Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base and sides with a double layer of baking paper.  Extend the paper over the sides.

Stir the egg, plain flour and self-raising flour into the fruit mixture.  Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 1½ hours.

Fresh out of the oven.
 
Cover cake with foil and cool in pan.

 
Enjoy.


8 comments

  1. A pity I don't eat dried fruit as that cake looks fantastic, Kylie. I imagine it will be very popular in your household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slices pack well in lunchboxes too. Our daughter is certainly enjoying her morning recess snack.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, that looks delicious! I love those cake stands, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps really well too. I keep looking at the stand on the table. Adds that real 'home' feel.

      Delete
  3. Ooh I love fruit cake! 2 years ago I entered the competition fruit cake section of our local show...and won...it was my first ever entry to! LOL. I couldn't enter last year because we were away, but it's time to start gearing up for this years entry, I think I made 6 last time trying to perfect it! Hopefully this time I won't need to make as many! Never got sick of eating the "rejects" though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Cheryl that's fantastic, congratulations. When is the next show? Would love to know how you go.
      I think making extra is a must though. You really need to taste test. Someone has to I guess.
      Have you seen the Australian Blue Ribbon Cookbook? There is a link on my right side toolbar under Goodreads.

      Delete
  4. The show is in October. I own a copy of that cookbook, it's one of my favourites:) I will definitely do a post on it down the track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade fruit cake is my favorite. This looks lovely! I like how fruit cakes last longer than most other cakes too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top