Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff is another popular dish in our home.  After trying different recipes with slight variations I settled on this recipe.

The original recipe uses beef stock however as I always have a homemade chicken stock in the freezer I use that instead.  Much tastier, healthier and our stock comes without a price tag too.  I've also found it needs two cups of stock.

Beef Stroganoff.


Ingredients
900g beef chuck steak
90g ghee or butter
4 spring onions, sliced
4 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon mustard
1 (220g) tin sliced buttered mushrooms
⅓ cup sour cream
⅓ cup white wine
Ground black pepper for seasoning.

Cut steak into strips approximately 1cm thick.  

Melt the ghee or butter in a large frypan over medium to high heat and brown the beef strips quickly.   Push aside and add the spring onion to the juices and fry for 3-5 minutes and then push to the side with the beef.

Add one tablespoon of flour at a time to the juices whilst adding a little chicken stock in between.  Make sure you stir continuously to avoid lumps.  Keep adding a little stock after each addition of flour and then add remainder of the stock and stir well.  Make sure the flour and stock have blended together smoothly.



Once boiling and smooth mix well with the beef and onion.  Lower the heat and add the mustard, mixing well.  Cover and gently simmer for 1 hour.  I find it thickens and catches a little so I check it every now and then to give it a stir.  I've also found the sauce reduces and thickens quite a lot so I add a little boiled water near the end.

Five minutes before serving stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, white wine and season with black pepper.


All ready for serving.


Serve over fettucine pasta.

Our son loves this dish so much it has been a requested 'Birthday Dinner' for quite a few years.

6 comments

  1. Mmm...that looks delicious. It sounds like a really nice recipe. I never thought of using chicken stock as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken stock would be the main one I use for most dishes now as I always have a supply. It works well. It is a very tasty dish this one.

      Delete
  2. That looks very tasty, Kylie. I sometimes make a chicken stroganoff which is nice too. I haven't made it for quite a while though so you've got me thinking to put stroganoff on my menu plan for next week. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made made beef stroganoff several times, and loved it. Recently I cut back on eating red meat, but your post made me wanted to try it again. Chicken stock is indeed a healthier choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kylie, that looks delicious. I've never eaten it with pasta before and as pasta is my daughters favourite food I'll definitely be giving this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy and I haven't made it in a while so I think it's one I need to add to my menu plan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top