Tangy Lemon Squares

Another recipe from my cookbook by the Australian Women's Weekly 'The Country Table.'  I am working my way through one of the sections in the book called 'See you at three'.  One of the recipes coming up is a sponge cake which could be a challenge.  It will be my first time making a sponge.  Mum makes a fantastic sponge so there is hope for me yet.  

Anyway getting ahead of myself.  Today is all about these Tangy Lemon Squares.



Ingredients
125g butter, chopped
¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
1¼ cup plain flour, sifted
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
½ cup lemon juice
Extra icing sugar for the top.

Preheat oven to 160° fan forced.  Line a 23cm square cake tin with baking paper extending the paper above the edges.

Beat the butter and icing sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.  Stir in 1 cup of the flour.  The mixture will be very dry and crumbly.  Once thoroughly mixed tip into the prepared tin and flatten with your hands whilst spreading as evenly as you can.

Base ready for baking.

Bake base for 15 minutes or until slightly browned.

Whilst the base is baking whisk the eggs, remaining flour, caster sugar, rind and juice in a bowl until thoroughly combined and smooth.

Once the base has finished baking remove from the oven.  Pour the egg mixture over the hot base and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.

Cool in pan.  Once ours was cool I covered and left it overnight.

The colour was so vibrant the following morning.

Sift a little extra icing sugar over the top, remove from the tin and slice.

Another great recipe from this lovely book.  Enjoy your day and hopefully some lemon slice.

6 comments

  1. I love anything lemony! It looks really vibrant and delicious. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Meg. I can eat a lemon as it is. No funny faces either 🙂.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kylie, I love anything lemony too!!
    Good luck with your sponge when you try it, I used to be hopeless at them, but I found an old Margaret Fulton Cook Book a while ago which had some of the best tips and tricks in it for the perfect sponge, I followed them to the letter, and had a great result. You can find them on my blog if you are interested. http://asimplygoodlife.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/the-tale-of-two-lamington-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl I have checked your tips. Between Mum's ideas and your tips I have a good chance.

      Delete
  3. oh these look fab! I still have a ton of lemons to deal with. Henry has a terribly sore throat so I need to try and make him lemon and honey drinks. There is no way I'm attempting a sponge in my oven, good luck! I'm sure it will be delish!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Henry gets better soon. A little Apple Cider Vinegar may help with his sore throat xx.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top