Fruit Loaf Bread

A cold and extremely windy Saturday calls for some baking.  I had been looking for a good Fruit Bread recipe to make from scratch when I came across this Fruit Loaf.

Eyes lit up with pure delight from my very willing taste testers.  Such a soft texture with plenty of fruit and it tastes amazing.  Oh and the smell as it was baking especially on a cold day just topped it all off.

The recipe can be adapted to use any fruit or flavours you have handy.  I had everything I needed at home which was even better.  I also added extra fruit.

Fruit Loaf Bread

Ingredients
55g butter
1¾ teaspoons dried yeast
150ml milk, warm
2 teaspoons caster sugar
350g bread flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Zest of ½ a lemon
1 egg, beaten
150-190g fruit of choice (I used a mix of raisins, currants and sultanas)

Lightly grease a loaf tin.

Melt the butter in the microwave and let cool slightly.

Add the caster sugar and dried yeast to warm milk and stir.  Let it sit until it becomes frothy.

Place the flour, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Add the melted butter, yeast mixture and egg.

Using the dough hook mix for approximately 8 minutes until the dough is smooth and the bowl looks clean.

Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel.  Leave in a warm place to rise.  As our house was cold I let it sit for a few hours.  It will double in size.


Doubled after a few hours.

Whilst the dough is rising add your selection of fruit to a bowl and cover with boiled water for up to one hour.  Drain well on paper towel.

We like our bread with a lot of fruit so I added a little extra.


When your dough is ready knock it back with your hand and turn onto a floured surface.  Knead the fruit into the dough.  I found it easier to add the fruit in three sections rather than all at once.  The dough will be quite moist so if needed add extra flour whilst kneading.  My dough was rather wet once I added the fruit however with just a little extra flour it was perfect.

Flatten the dough into a rectangle shape or roll roughly the same size as your tin, about 1cm thick.

Roll up dough, tuck in the ends and place into the prepared loaf tin seam side down. 

Cover with a towel and let sit for about one hour or until it has doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 200°C.

Place the loaf in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and makes a hollow sound when tapped.

Cool in tin for 5 minutes and then turn onto wire rack.

Slice and serve.

We sliced ours whilst warm and buttered.  

Wrap in a towel and place into a container to store.




6 comments

  1. That really looks good. I've made a fruit loaf before (quite a long time ago) and I wasn't really that happy with it, I'm a better bread maker now, so you've given me the inspiration to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just put a big smile on my face Cheryl.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. I've made regular yeast breads, but never a fruit bread. What a nice treat for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better toasted with homemade ghee and local honey.

      Delete
  3. Looks superb, a definite must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be making this again this week. Most likely a weekly bread here now. I'm going to experiment with adding nuts and perhaps seeds another time too.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top