Egg and Bacon Pie

Egg and Bacon Pie is a dish which everyone enjoys here.  Just those two words in the title alone are enough to grab my attention - 'egg' and 'bacon.'  Maybe it's because I'm a big breakfast fan or just a fan of these two ingredients. 

My version of Egg and Bacon Pie has a lot of greens for extra goodness.  Each time I make this dish it is a little different depending on the items in our fridge but here is the main recipe I use.

Egg and Bacon Pie


Ingredients
Small knob of butter for greasing pie dish
2 sheets puff pastry
8-9 eggs
6 rashers of bacon
2 cups chopped greens of choice (I have used kale, spinach, spring onion)
Chopped fresh herbs of choice (I have used parsley and chives)
Cracked black pepper
Milk for glazing

Preheat oven to 190°C.

Lightly grease a 23cm Pyrex pie dish with a little butter. 

Place one sheet of pastry on the base and up the sides of prepared dish.  Trim edges.  I then patch up edges with bits of leftover pastry from trimming.

Lightly fry the bacon and drain on paper towel for a few minutes.  Cut into pieces.

Place half of the bacon over the pastry followed by the greens.  Top with fresh herbs and then scatter the rest of the bacon on top.


Make small divets and crack eggs on top.  I fit as many eggs as I can.  Season with black pepper.

Squeezed nine eggs on top.
Cover with second sheet of pastry pressing around the edges and trim.  Brush with a little milk and poke a few holes in the top.   Cook for 15 minutes and then turn the heat down to 180°C and cook for a further 30 minutes.


Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. 

I've always found this pie releases from the dish very easily and holds it shape.  I carefully place the pie onto a board and slice.

Makes a good lunch for the weekends as well.  

3 comments

  1. Do you wilt the greens first? i.e. 2 cups of steamed greens or raw shredded greens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't wilt them first Cheryl. I roughly chop/shred and add raw.
      I hope you enjoy.
      Kylie

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful. Your family is so lucky to have you making them so many healthy, delicious meals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top