Date Slice

Once again I have my cookbook 'The Country Table' in action.  I've made so many recipes from this book I am now thinking I should start at the first recipe and work my way through the whole book.  

This is the first time I've made a Date Slice however it certainly won't be the last.  We have just sliced it and the smell alone is divine.  It has that homemade cake shop smell if that makes sense.  

Date Slice



Ingredients
1½  cups plain flour, sifted 
1¼ cups self-raising flour, sifted
150g cold butter, chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1 egg
⅓ cup milk, approximately
2 teaspoons milk, extra for brushing on top
1 tablespoon white sugar

Filling
500g dried seed dates, chopped
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Line a 20cm x 30cm lamington tin making sure to extend the paper over the two long ends.

Add flours to a medium mixing bowl and rub in butter until it becomes crumbly.

Butter has now been rubbed in.

Combine the egg and honey and then add to the flour mixture.  Stir whilst adding just enough milk to form a dough.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and smooth.  Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Whilst the dough is resting start making the filling by adding all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan.  Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring.  Turn off the heat once the mix is thick and smooth.  Let cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced).

Divide the dough in half.  Roll one half to fit the base of pan.

The dough is so easy to work with.

Carefully place the dough into the pan and top with the filling.  Spread the filling as evenly as possible.  Roll the other half of the dough to fit over the top.  Place on top of filling, brush with extra milk and sprinkle the sugar on top.

Filling spread evenly.

Bake for 15 minutes and then let cool in pan before slicing. 

I actually sliced ours the next day and it sliced beautifully.

10 comments

  1. That looks delicious! I feel like I can smell it all the way from California! I'll have to try your recipe. I don't think many Americans make date slice, but it seems very popular in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth trying. I wish I could share some with you over a cup of tea or coffee.

      Delete
  2. This looks delish! I am needing to do some baking today, though Im not sure if I have dates. I will have to check it out. And it looks exactly like something my beautiful Nanna would have made! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipes really do stir up wonderful memories Emma. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. This looks great, I am going to see if I have this cookbook in my library too. It looks like my kind of cooking. I am also loving the changes to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you find the book. The recipes really are your everyday type and they taste so much better as you make things mostly from scratch.
      I'll be getting stuck into my blog layout again this afternoon to update my colours and quite a bit of fine tuning. Thanks so much for your kind comment too, it is very encouraging.

      Delete
  4. Oh, look at what you've been up to with this blog!!! It's looking great, Kylie. As is this date slice, how delicious! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meg. My daughter is just having some date slice for morning tea at the moment and enjoying every last crumb.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, oh, I just love your new blog look, simply stunning! Have a lovely Sunday.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there Fiona. Thankyou so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top