A Rainy Day Catch Up

Last night I was looking at the weather forecast for today and thinking about changing my little schedule around due to the rain.  The forecast was for clearing showers however this is Melbourne and it has rained pretty much all day.

The kids, Samson and I didn't get to do our usual morning walk to school and had to take the car instead.  After the school drop off I returned home to a fairly edgy pooch who just wanted his walk.  Another check of the weather radar and I could see a small gap so about an hour later I seized the opportunity.  Halfway through the rain came down once again.  You know that really 'wet' type of rain.  Samson was in his element of course.  I was absolutely drenched with soggy socks and all.  A dry set of clothes the second I arrived home plus a quick towel dry of the hair and it was onto the cooking.

Tonight's dinner is one which can be made ahead and probably tastes better that way too.  I enjoy cooking when it's raining and gloomy outside.  I made a Curried Beef Rice which left a beautiful warm feel and lovely aroma throughout the house.

I'm sure this will warm them up tonight.


I kept a little rice aside before adding to the pan for our chickens.  They love their rice especially on a cold, wet day. 

Good to see them sharing too.

They have surprised me today.  I know if I was them I would be inside the coop where it is dry and warm.  Nope, they have spent most of the day out in the rain.  They have fresh water and food hanging inside the coop so they have been in and out however mainly scratching around outside.

The veggies have been dancing in the rain too.  I'm growing my first ever broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower which look healthy and strong.  I was tickled pink when I saw the first sign of a broccoli emerging about two weeks ago.  I try hard not to look at it every day but today I had a sneak peak and it is bigger.  Those leaves will also be used in cooking.


My first little broccoli.
 
Hoping to see a little cabbage soon.

Our kids went back to school this week after a two week break.  The winter holidays are usually our best ones with pyjama days, baking, being together all warm and cosy and these holidays have been just that.

The holidays were also a great opportunity for many driving lessons for our son.  Both of our cars are manual which is even better.  We've practiced parking, handbrake starts and driven in all sorts of conditions.  The more hours we can give him over the next two years the better.

Our daughter and I spent a lovely few days together on our little city escape as well as baking of course.  There was also plenty of time to try and beat her all time record of completing the rubik's cube.  She can tick that one off her to do list.  Another record time for her.

Very impressive.


Completed in record time.

Quite amazing to watch her solve the cube as it really looks like she is just twisting and turning any which way.  She is so fast and then all of a sudden it is complete.

On top of the school holildays, veggies and animals our coffee table has been busy with games of Rummikub, cross stitch and reading.  I have just finished my very first Jane Austen book 'Sense and Sensibility'.  I've been wanting to read one of her books for quite a while now however I'll probably leave it at that as it just wasn't for me.  In between novels  I usually read a reference type book and am currently reading Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ.  I love her style of writing.  She keeps you entertained and it is so interesting.  Her sister is the illustrator and some of the pictures are quite a bit of fun.  I was reading this book on the train Monday and was on a page with a rather interesting illustration.  It left me wondering what someone may think when peering over my shoulder.  Could start up an interesting conversation.

Looking forward to watching these DVDs too.

My cross stitch is coming along slowly but surely.  It is a very complicated one however it is progressing



I love the evenings curled up with my favourite things and relaxing.

That wraps up my little 'Rainy Day Catch Up' and it's just about time for me to head to that cosy couch.
 

11 comments

  1. How exciting to see your first cabbage and broccoli! And good job on completing Rubik's cube. I loved doing it when I was a kid.
    It's a rainy day here too. There's nothing like reading a good book or doing a cross stitch when it rains outside. :) I can't wait to see your completed cross stitch, though I remember it being a big project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading, cross stitching and cooking all warm and cosy when it's raining outside. One of the joys of winter.

      Delete
  2. I recommend Pride and Prejudice, if you can bring yourself to read another Austen novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is on my 'to read' list. I'll read a few other things first and then give it a go.

      Delete
  3. Your cross stitch is looking great, Kylie. So is your cabbage and broccoli too. Won't be long and you'll be harvesting that veg. I have the grand total of three broccoli plants left thanks to our resident (and quite clearly hungry) possum. Last year, he wasn't the least bit interested in the broccoli but this year is another story! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't sound like your possum is much of a sharer. I am so looking forward to harvest time.

      Delete
  4. I have been snipping the bottom leaves of the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower and making them into pinata's for the chickens, they love it! Thanks to your brilliant idea :) Your holidays sound perfect, very much like mine were for the last couple of weeks. Now we are back into it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy your girls are enjoying their pinatas.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, Wonderful post. You sound so happy and productive. The broccoli looks so healthy. I love that stage. I used to grow it here. Your cross stitch looks beautiful, too. Such a nice design. My chickens always preferred to be outside in the rain, too. I think they found more worms at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha Kylie, I see that you picked up the Blue Ribbon Cookbook. I hope you enjoy the stories from around the country as much as I did. Your veges look amazing, it's so encouraging isn't it to see that first head of broccoli peaking through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up purchasing this one. This is a cookbook I can read from cover to cover. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top