Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

Some time last year our son had a friend over for lunch who was vegetarian.  After a quick scan on the internet I discovered these amazing vegetarian sausage rolls and so glad I did.  Even though our kids love traditional sausage rolls they also thoroughly enjoy this vegetarian version.

The recipecommunity site is where I found the recipe.  I used the Bellini to make the filling however I think a food processor would do the trick.

Best ever Vegetarian Sausage Rolls.



Ingredients
1 onion, cut into quarters
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
100g walnuts
95g rolled oats
3 eggs
150g feta cheese
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
45g breadcrumbs
3 sheets puff pastry

1 extra egg for brushing on top
Sesame seeds for top

Preheat oven to 200°C and line two baking trays.

Place onion and herbs into the Bellini and chop for 8 seconds, speed 6.  Scrape down sides.

Add the walnuts and oats and chop for 5 seconds, speed 6.  Scrape down sides.

Add eggs, cheese, tamari or soy sauce and breadcrumbs to the onion mix.  Process for 20 seconds, speed 5 or until combined

Cut each pastry sheet in half and place 1/6th of the mixture onto the long edge of each piece.

Approximately 95g of mixture per roll.

 Carefully roll and gently seal.

I cut them in half and then half again.


Cut each long into four equal pieces.  Once again I used dental floss to get an easy clean cut.

Place pieces onto the two baking trays.  They can fit onto one tray however I find they cook better if spread out a little.  It prevents sweating and sogginess this way.

Crack the extra egg into a microwavable cup, beat with a fork and brush on top.  Put the leftover egg aside for later.

Score each piece with a knife and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake for 20 minutes.


My almost equal slices.


The kids have arrived just in time - funny that.

It really is hard to believe these are vegetarian.  They look and taste like they have meat.

Whilst the sausage rolls are cooking I place the leftover beaten egg in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, give it a quick little chop and mix and enjoy.  You can add some flavouring before microwaving however I enjoy it on it's own. 

3 comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Kylie. I love discovering new vegetarian recipes. These little sausage rolls look fantastic and would be a hit at my place. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe brought back memories. I used to make them for my children when they were going to school since my son hated bread. It had cottage cheese in the mix but it was the same sort of recipe. There are quite a few recipes of this sort about. I used to make 2 dozen at a time and freeze them. They loved them. The feta cheese would add an interesting taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter just loves them cold at school too. Next time I have leftover cottage cheese to use up I'll give that a try.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top