Rissole Bacon and Tomato Casserole

I'm working through the 'Australian Women's Weekly The Country Table' cookbook I've borrowed from the library and discovering some fantastic recipes.  Oh this book reminds me so much of Mum's cooking.

This recipe is full of goodness and makes a good hearty dinner which takes so little time to prepare.  Once it's in the oven you can get on with other things whilst dinner is cooking.  I served ours with a mixture of frozen beans, corn and peas.  

The only change I will make next time would be to halve the amount of basil as the kids found it strong.  

Another recipe success from this wonderful book.  

Dinner is ready.



Ingredients
600g beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
4 rashers of bacon, chopped finely
400g can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil

Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced).

Combine mince, onion, egg, rice, breadcrumbs and sauce in a bowl.  Shape the mixture into 12 rissoles.  I divided the mixture into quarters and then rolled three rissoles per quarter.  I just find it easier to get similar sizes.  Place rissoles into a deep casserole dish.

All rolled and ready for toppings.

Sprinkle the bacon over the top.  Combine the tomatoes, stock and paste and then pour over the rissoles.

Quick and simple preparation.


Cover well with foil or a lid and bake for 1 hour or until rissoles are cooked through.  After the hour I gave it a gentle stir and placed back into the oven for another 5 minutes.  Stir in basil just before serving.

Enjoy.







4 comments

  1. Your dinner looks delicious. Bon appetite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finished meal looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My mouth is watering and it's only 6am! I think I'll try that recipe Kylie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top