Porridge - 5 Ways

Porridge is a real favourite of mine.  I eat it all year round and have it many different ways.  I've experimented with a lot of different flavours and textures over the years.

Each porridge is served with chopped strawberries, frozen blueberries and kiwi fruit.  I also crack an egg into the mixture a few minutes before serving and give it a good whisk.

Here are the base recipes in which I then add the egg and fruit as per above.



I'll start with my sweet and savoury porridge.


Carrot and Zucchini Porridge
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper (I add a little more as I like the spice)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or almonds (or both together)

Mix the almond milk, carrot, zucchini, pepper and cinnamon into a small saucepan with a whisk and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and then add your choice of nuts. Whisk occasionally whilst it is simmering until slightly thickened.  This only takes approximately 8 minutes.
Serve with the above add-ins.  

I actually have the carrot and zucchini grated the day before therefore just pop it all into the saucepan in the morning.  So quick, easy, delicious and healthy.
Coconut Porridge
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I usually mix almonds and walnuts)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut chips (plus extra for snacking on whilst cooking-they're delicious)

Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan.  Once simmering add the nuts, coconut flour and cinnamon.  Whisk immediately as it will thicken very quickly.  Add a little boiled water if it becomes too thick.  I have the kettle on the side just in case.  Cover and gently simmer for 5 minutes giving it a little whisk halfway through.
Serve with the above add-ins and then top with the coconut chips.  If there are any left.  Once you start it's hard to stop eating them.

This is one of my favourite as I love coconut.


Buckwheat Porridge
1/4 cup buckwheat groats (soaked overnight)
1 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon

The night before place the buckwheat groats into a small bowl, add enough water to cover and then place cling wrap over the top.  Or you can just place a small plate over the bowl to cover - this is my preference.  Let soak overnight.

In the morning drain the buckwheat into a sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water.

Place the buckwheat into a small saucepan along with the almond milk and cinnamon giving it a good stir.  Bring to the boil and then gently simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally.  It will become lovely and thick.  Once again add some boiled water if it thickens too much.
Remember the add-ins above and enjoy your very filling porridge.

I've also made a similar porridge from Deliciously Ella which is so good.  If on the go in the morning I've made this the night before and poured into a mason jar topped with berries.  You can then either eat it cold or pop it into a microwave when you're out and about. 


Almond and Walnut Porridge
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Add the nuts to a food processor.  Process leaving a little crunch.

Place the almond milk into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a slow simmer and add the processed nuts and cinnamon.  Simmer for a good 8-10 minutes whilst whisking occasionally.  Continue until you have reached your desired thickness.  I like it quite thick.
Remember the add-ins above.
This one really is filling and the nuts keep you full for a long time.


Polenta Porridge
1 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons polenta
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour the almond milk into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a slow simmer and whilst whisking add 1 tablespoon of the polenta.  Continue to whisk and then add the other 1 tablespoon of polenta and cinnamon.  Cover with a lid and gently simmer (very low heat) for approximately 5-8 minutes or until thick.  Check it every now and then and whisk if necessary to avoid it sticking.  Once again add a little boiled water if too thick.  
Serve with the above add-ins.

I also have two extra little recipes which I just couldn't resist adding here from our daughter. 

Here is her muesli recipe she makes up on her own which is stored in a mason jar.  A big bowl of muesli topped with fresh fruit and yoghurt is a great breakfast and perfect before a big day at school too.


Fits perfectly into a 3 cup Mason jar.

We always make sure we have a big container of fruit ready in the fridge.  This makes it so quick and easy before school.


Dates sometimes slip in too.

Some days she will have her muesli and others these delicious Overnight Oats which she prepares the night before.  You can have this either warm or cold.

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I mix it up between cooked breakfasts which can include anything from veggies, eggs, bacon, breakfast casseroles and my many different types of porridge.  Each day is different.















4 comments

  1. Yum! Porridge is such a healthy, quick and inexpensive way to start a day. My most favourite version is with old-fashioned oats, warmed berries, some chopped almonds and a drizzle of maple syrup. It's lunchtime at the moment but now I feel like breakfast! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have breakfast all day every day Meg. My favourite.

      Delete
  2. I will be trying buckwheat, have only been adding it to my bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to know how you go. The recipe uses the buckwheat groat which I find in most supermarkets.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top