New Chicken Run

Our beautiful girls are now home to the most amazing chicken run and they are so happy.  I'm so, so impressed with how good it looks and how well it all works.  My husband has done such a great job and I'm forever grateful.  

The girls were introduced to their new area on Sunday.  They darted all around checking it all out and it was so good to see.


Inquisitive little bunch they are.

Something grabbed their attention.


The only thing left to complete are the final stages of the step.  Our daughter dug a hole so the door could swing open and now my husband just needs to complete this small section.  The door has a lock on the bottom half and also a lock on the top half.  Once inside we have a little latch as well.  

We have added avery wire along the bottom half of the door and all around the perimeter of the run for protection.

Final stages of the step to be completed next weekend.


The chickens are making the most of this little dirt hole.  I'm seeing a lot of bathing going on.  From the above photo you can also see the lock on the bottom half of the door as well as the extra layer of avery wire.


They love standing just inside the door flicking the shavings outside.

Looking from different angle.

I now leave the coop open all day so they're free to roam in and out which makes egg laying so much easier.  In the morning I let them out and they go straight to their breakfast.  I then go into the coop and do their housework.  Within seconds I have all five chickens inside the coop with me.  Oh are they chatterboxes.  They come in and are so vocal telling me about this and that.  I always chat with them.  I asked them why we are all in the one room of the house - 'you have the whole 'house' and we are all crammed into the one room'.  Just like in our own home.  We have the whole house however majority of the time find ourselves all gathered in the one room together.  They just love being close to us.  They chat, peck our boots, jump on our shoulders and yap, yap, yap.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  The best way to start a day as far as I'm concerned.


This is where we hang their food and water.

Our daughter also hung this tennis ball for them to play with.  They also like to perch on these bars which is great however maybe not above their food and water.  We are going to build some perches within the run in another area.  Our Samson is always close by.  He did get into the run on the weekend with the chickens.  My husband had trouble getting him back out again as he was munching away on their food.  In the end he had to physically lift him up and carry him out.  I'm so disappointed I missed that one.  


The best chicken run ever.

This photo shows it all together.  I think the coop and run are perfect for our five girls.  Not only does it look great but it is so practical.  The run also has a roof which my husband recycled from the old chicken run.  This leaves our girls fully enclosed and well protected.

Dad spent most of the past two weekends helping with the run and bouncing some really good ideas around.  The kids would ask me each weekend if Pop was coming around.  They loved it, we all did.  Thanks so much for everything Dad.  You really made this whole project so memorable.

Speaking of chickens and Samson I need to go outside, give them dinner and put them to bed. 

















13 comments

  1. Pleased the girls are so happy. Coop and run are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb.
      They're happy, I'm happy, we're all happy - win, win, win.

      Delete
  2. What a great looking chock run and house! Thats a great idea about the double covering of mesh. Nice and strong!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hoping it's strong enough to keep foxes out Emma. I feel comfortable with going out during the day knowing they have this extra protection plus Samson in the backyard.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a sturdy creation! That is a great size for them. If you get an escapee I will be very shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If one does escape then they're very clever. Hoping to keep predators out and our girls safe.

      Delete
  4. That looks fantastic! I bet your chickens feel rather spoilt with a "palace" like that. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that 'palace'. They really seem to enjoy being able to roam in and out of the coop as well - novelty maybe. Floss does like to make a mess of the nesting boxes during the day though - cheeky girl.

      Delete
  5. Had a bit of a giggle about Samson eating the chook food, it's true labs are completely and totally food focused, our girl Mim used to stand between the front legs of our daughters horse in order to catch the gum nuts he dropped.
    Your husband has done a great job on their accommodation and they sound very contented.
    Lavenderlass

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about your chickens. The coop and run look so good. How big are they Kylie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are now roughly 28 weeks old. Hard to believe we have only had them for about 2 months as they feel like they've always been a part of the family. As far as size they seem average. Eggsy and Harriett are the biggies though compared to the others.

      Delete
  7. We are getting new chickens also but waiting till after Sept. as we go away again. Miss having them and the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must be really looking forward to it. September will be here before we know it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top