Lamb Shank and Veggie Soup

During the cold months you really can't beat a good hearty soup packed with veggies to keep you warm and fill you up.  Lamb Shank and Veggie Soup ticks all the boxes.  

A recipe which brings so much flavour, can be made ahead of time and freezes well too.  I made ours during the day and heated when ready for dinner.  There were about 2 servings leftover which I labelled and froze knowing this will come in very handy one night.  We either eat leftovers the next day or freeze even if only 1 or 2 serves.  On those busy nights I check our freezer list and pull out various frozen meals to make up 4 serves.  They turn into banquet nights which everyone enjoys.

Lamb Shank and Vegetable Soup



Ingredients
4 lamb shanks
2 carrots, chopped
2 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 potatoes, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
400g can whole tomatoes
1.5 litres beef stock
½ cup tomato paste
2 zucchinis, chopped

Roughly chop the canned tomatoes whilst in the can or pour into a small bowl and chop.  I find it easier in the can and less mess. 

Place the tomatoes, lamb shanks, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, stock and paste into a large saucepan.




Using Mum's 'hand me down' pot.

Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Add the zucchinis and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered.  It will thicken slightly.

Remove the shanks and roughly chop the meat.  I found it just fell off the bone as it was so tender.  Time to taste test the lamb now - part of the process I think.  Return the chopped lamb to the soup and stir.

Ready to serve immediately or later for maximum flavour.












8 comments

  1. Love shanks, mine are cooked using the slow cooker. This recipe sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tasty. Slow cooker lamb shanks, yum!

      Delete
  2. This is perfect for cold winter nights. Though I love lamb recipes anytime of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, my favourite and so easy to use. A leg of lamb in the slow cooker is another goodie.

      Delete
  3. This looks just what I feel like eating for dinner tonight, its miserable and rainy, perfect to warm the soul. Think I might pop up to the butcher now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it makes you feel warm. Enjoy.

      Delete
  4. Kylie it is a shame shanks have become so expensive. I buy a couple now and again to put into the slow cooker. I seem to be having a lot of Pea and Ham soup this winter not that it has been all that cold here in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, a once in a while treat. I think you enjoy them even more then.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top