Ham Toasties with Fried Egg

Toasted sandwiches are such a great snack or even as a quick and easy dinner.  We have always made them using the sandwich press however I gave the frying pan a go this time.  The idea came from 'The Country Table' cookbook yet again.  It certainly made for a delicious dinner last night and was also a bit of fun too.

Toasties topped with fried egg will be made again and again using this method.  


Ham Toasties



Ingredients
8 slices thick bread
8 slices ham
Butter for frying
4 eggs

Cheese Sauce
20g butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup freshly grated cheese
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped

First step is to make the cheese sauce.  Melt butter in a small saucepan, add flour, cook, whisking until mixture bubbles and thickens.  This should take at least 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in milk until all milk has been added.  Keep cooking and whisking until sauce boils and thickens.  Remove from the heat and stir through cheese and parsley.

Spread the sauce onto each slice of bread.  Top four of the slices with ham and then remaining bread.



My little production line.

Melt butter in frying pan and cook sandwiches in batches until browned on both sides.  As each one cooked I placed it in the oven on the 'keep warm' setting.

Fry eggs in the same pan.

Serve topped with egg.


Having the egg on top added to the fun and taste of course.

As I had made ham and salad wraps the previous weekend I had frozen 8 slices of ham knowing I would be needing them for this dish.  I had them in an airtight container and removed them from the freezer the night before.  They defrosted in the fridge and were perfect.  First time freezing deli meat and it worked well.  Saved me having to go to the butcher twice.

These were such fun to make and they were thoroughly enjoyed by everyone.

3 comments

  1. Well that is an interesting way to make toasted sandwiches, Kylie. I have never been that adventurous but it does look like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a try and I think the sauce makes a huge difference too. Just not such a good idea the day after you've scrubbed the cook top. I'll remember that next time.

      Delete
  2. Toasted sandwiches are a favourite in our house, usually we have them for lunch on weekends. I have never made them this way...they sound delicious! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top