Ghee

Ever since my first taste of ghee I was hooked even before I knew of its benefits.  Wellness Mama site has easy steps to follow for successful ghee making.  I've just made a new batch and have some photos of the different stages with instructions.

I used to buy ghee online until I discovered just how quick and easy it is to make.  Better late than never.

Liquid Gold.

All you need to make ghee is unsalted butter, saucepan, wooden spoon, strainer, nut bag or cheesecloth and a jar for storage.

This is my choice of butter.

I use the 250g size of butter however you can use larger.  The 250g size fits into a small saucepan however I would use medium if using more butter.

First step is to chop the butter into cubes.  Place into the saucepan and gently melt, stirring occasionally.  Once completely melted turn the heat down and reduce to a simmer.

This next stage takes about 10 minutes however you will see the butter transform through different stages.  Firstly your butter will foam.

The first foam usually starts within a few minutes.

Slowly you will notice bubbles and the foam decreases.

Keep it simmering until the butter foams yet again for the second time.

Second foam.
 
  If you skim the foam from the surface you should see a lovely gold colour underneath.


We are getting there now.

After another few minutes of simmering you will notice brown pieces of milk solids at the base of the saucepan.  Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.

Just cooling down before straining.

Pour the mixture through your strainer and nut bag into your storage jar.  I fold the nut bag in half for the extra layer.

Solids left in nut bag.
 
Time to clean.
  
You now have your ghee which is a gorgeous liquid gold colour.  Over the next few hours it will set and depending on the temperature of the house will be anything from very soft to hard but spreadable.  I store mine in the pantry.


The house is rather cool at the moment therefore this set in a few hours.

My daughter and I are the ghee lovers here.  We use it daily on toast, sandwiches and cooking.  It really does taste wonderful.

No comments

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top