Beef and Vegetable Pie

This recipe does require your time however the result is worth all the effort.  Not only is it packed with flavour but you are left with two family sized pies.  I've popped the extra pie into the freezer which will come in very handy on a busy evening.

You can find the recipe on the Food To Love site or in 'The Australian Women's Weekly The Country Table' cookbook.  I've borrowed this amazing book from the library which I've been working through over the past few weeks.  My copy is due back next week so I'm hoping I may be able to renew the loan for another three weeks.  Fingers crossed it hasn't been requested.  I am also on the lookout for a secondhand copy as it is a book I would like to own.  Full of those all time favourites with good, hearty family meals.

Beef and Vegetable Pie.


Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5kg gravy beef, cut into 2cm pieces
60g butter
1 onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups hot beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 celery sticks, cut into 2cm pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces
1 carrot, cut into 2cm pieces
1 zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces
150g mushrooms, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten

Heat oil in a deep frying pan.  Cook beef in batches and set aside.

The beef has left so much flavour on the base of the pan.

Melt butter in same pan.  Cook onion and garlic until it softens.  Keep scraping the base of the pan to mix the flavours and colour from browning the meat.
 
Add flour and cook whilst constantly stirring until mixture bubbles and thickens.  Cook for at least one minute.  Stir in wine and hot stock.  Continue to stir until the mixture boils and thickens slightly.

Return the beef to the pan along with the tomato paste, celery, potato and carrot.  Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.  I gave it a little stir every now and then.

Add the zucchini and mushrooms.  Remove lid and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add the peas and stir until heated through.  Remove from the heat, add the parsley and mix well.


This pie filling is full of veggies, colour and flavour.

Heat the oven to 200°C.  I use a fan forced oven.

Divide the mixture between two 25cm pie dishes and brush the edge of the dishes with a little egg.  Place a pastry sheet on top of each pie.  Using a fork press the edges and then trim excess pastry.  Brush the tops with the beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes.


Here is one of the pies just out of the oven.

This pie filling is one of the best ones.  I'm thinking that next time I will use this filling for the mini pie maker.  As it's such a large batch it will make many individual pies which I can freeze and they will certainly come in handy for weekend lunches.


The kids were really happy once again.
 
As I like to use everything and can't bear to throw any food away I heated the remainder of the egg in the microwave which I enjoyed.  I also quickly spread a little strawberry jam onto the tiny pastry offcuts and placed them on the oven trays with the pies.  After about 10 minutes I pulled them out and gave them to the kids whilst they were waiting for dinner.


Not the best look but they were yum.






2 comments

  1. hi enjoyed reading your blog
    is it possible to send e-mail up dates
    keep up the lovely work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, welcome and thank you for your kind words.
      Yes you can get email updates. If you enter your email address and click subscribe in the box on the right side of my blog. If you are viewing on a mobile it will be at the bottom.
      I also have a follow button on the right too.
      If you have any issues please let me know.
      Enjoy.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top