Our First Egg!

A quick post as I just can't hold this in any longer.  We have our first ever egg.  Even though the first thing I do each morning is look in the boxes just in case I wasn't really expecting anything just yet.  This morning I opened their door as per normal and out they plopped and then I saw it.  Well, I think the whole neighbourhood may have heard me.

I left the egg right where it was, ran inside and gathered everyone together.  Wow, what a feeling.  I'm still overjoyed and absolutely bursting to let everyone know.  It has made my day.

 Our first egg!



We are all trying to work out who the clever girl is now.  Of course I know it has to be Floss however others have different opinions.  Such a good sign too that they are happy chickens.

Really looking forward to tasting this egg now.  I'll wait until everyone is home tonight and then we shall cook it.  Our daughter isn't keen on boiled or poached egg and has requested it be fried.  I can just picture us tonight dividing this one little egg into four.  Gotta love that.  So much happiness and fun.  This is the best.



17 comments

  1. I can tell you are excited, Kylie. I can just see you all dividing up that fried egg. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll feel like George on Masterchef dividing it up carefully.

      Delete
  2. Yay how exciting! The taste will blow you away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So looking forward to the taste. I won't be adding any veggies to the pan as I just want to really taste that egg.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Kylie. What a day, the first egg. The egg layer will be the chook with the largest and reddest comb and wattles. From the look of the group photo you posted a couple of days ago, it looks like it may be the girl at the top - with the dark necklace of feathers. As your girls get ready to lay, their combs and wattles will grow larger and redder. Enjoy your afternoon tea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Kylie, I can imagine how excited you must have been. When I saw the title of your post I was so happy as if it were my hens :D
    What a pretty sight.
    Enjoy your first egg !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much.
      I wrote the date on the egg. Later I thought 'why?' It is going to be eaten tonight. Good practice.

      Delete
  5. Magic! How good is that egg going to taste!!! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best egg we've ever had 🙂

      Delete
  6. Sweets I just came across this link and thought of you and yours
    http://remedydaily.com/2016/02/23/what-egg-yolk-color-can-reveal-about-the-chicken-it-came-from/?src=bbr_49682&t=syn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out the place we purchase our eggs from now sources from other local farmers to keep up with demand. I'm guessing that's why I'm suddenly seeing a few eggs with lighter yolks.

      Thanks for the link. The darker the yolk the more nutritious. I would like to find more bugs and insects for our chickens to eat. I also think variety is best. Good little clip to watch. I like simple explanations like that. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Well done chookies, and well done Kylie and family, you all deserve many more eggs for all your hard work, the first one though is special.
    lavenderlass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is special. Seeing it in the box was such a gift.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kylie,
    Love the simple things! What great enjoyment and excitement you all had from a simple egg! Well done to you all.... (and of course to your clever chooks!) Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how special. The first of many I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yay! Haha, wait until you have so many eggs you will wonder what to do with them all :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top