Little Catch-Up

The past few weeks have been jam packed with so many exciting things.  New recipes, chicken coop moving along, veggie garden, reading, cross-stitching and so much more.

Over the past week I've been experimenting with making bread using whole wheat flour.  My first loaf was very tasty however not as light as I would like.  I'm using this recipe as a guide.

My first attempt.



Today I gave it another go and this time mixed it in the mixmaster instead of just using a wooden spoon, added bread improver and also used a smaller loaf tin.  The slices are definitely a little lighter and also higher.  Homemade bread really has so much more flavour.


Second attempt.  Getting better.

By experimenting and trying different things is the best way to finally get that loaf I'm looking for.  This is my best way of learning and I find that things improve each time I try again. 

Over the weekend I also made another one of Nigella's Madeira cakes for Dad.  I then had some help with the washing up.  



Cake batter is the best.
 

I think she missed a few spots.

Next up was the mixing bowl of course.  I remember licking the beater and bowl all the time as Mum was always baking and always let us at it.

Happy to say I've also ticked another item off my running list.  This was a job I had been putting off however I made the decision and just got it done.  I wiped down the two timber venetian blinds in the kitchen as well as the blind next to the front door.  A damp cloth, good music and each and every slat wiped thoroughly.  

Every Sunday I thoroughly scrub our water bottles, place a denture tablet in each, fill with cold water and let sit overnight.  I give them another really good rinse with hot water the next morning and they're good to go again.  The denture tablets prevent them from going slimey inside.


Ready to soak overnight.


On Saturday I finished reading The Light Between Oceans and have now started Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf. This is quite a small book so I've lined up my next one with the library which will be Jane Austen's 'Sense and Sensibility'.  I've placed a request however it is currently on loan so I'm not sure how long that will take.


My current read.

The weather here is starting to cool down quite a lot so I'm really enjoying our evenings on the couch.  I really enjoy ending the day curled up on the couch, cosy, warm, cross stitching and spending time together.  A 'cross stitch' post is coming up showing my progress as well as a little 'call for help' as one of the instructions really has me stumped.

Outside our veggies are looking a lot happier since adding lime to the soil.  I've also added some Dynamic Lifter pellets and fresh lucerne mulch.  Samson has been helping of course by removing the mulch around our little lemon tree as soon as I turn my back.  He really has it in for that tree.  The broccoli and cauliflower are really starting to take off now and I've harvested a few herbs.

The chickens are also enjoying the herbs.
 
Chives are one of my favourite.

I use herbs a lot to add flavour to our dishes.

Work on the new chicken run is moving along.  Each weekend my husband is out in the yard working very hard.  All walls have now been made so the next step is cementing the posts into the ground.  A door still needs to be made as well as the roof.  Little by little it will get there.


All wall frames are now complete and have chicken wire attached.

Now we are at the beginning of a brand new week with lots of great food to cook, cosy evenings and much more.  Have a wonderful week everyone.




4 comments

  1. Kylie, I can't wait to see your chicken run when it is finished...then I will probably be green with envy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our chickens won't know themselves in their new home. I'm really looking forward to having it finished. It will be so much easier for us too. A door and standing room. Much easier.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip about cleaning water bottles, Kylie. I use a bottle brush, but denture tablets are easier. I have to add it to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always scrub them first in warm soapy water before soaking. I also try and stand then upside down for a few hours too to get the solution in all the little grooves in the nozzle part.
    I'm really glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top