Cheesymite Rolls

Ever since I discovered Rhonda's Cheese Rolls I've been making them over and over again.  They really are super easy and are so much tastier than the shop bought ones.  After having these lovely homemade rolls the kids have certainly noticed the difference.

As I don't own a bread machine I make them by hand.

I can start making after them lunch and have them fresh out of the oven in time for after school snacks.  They were just coming out of the oven last night as the kids walked in the door.  The kitchen smelt like a bakery.  

Cheesymite scrolls.


As our daughter isn't a big fan of cheese I've made a few with just vegemite which you can see at the top of the photo above.

Recipe and instructions without a bread machine.

Ingredients
2 heaped teaspoons dried yeast
1½ cups half water/half milk
2 teaspoons caster sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups baker's flour
2 teaspoons bread improver
1 tablespoon olive oil
Toppings of your choice - cheese, bacon, vegemite

Place half cup of water and half cup of milk into a small microwave container.  I use a coffee mug.  Heat until just warm - blood temperature.  Add the yeast and sugar and give it a good stir.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  During this time it will start to bloom.

My yeast after 5 minutes.

In a mixmaster and in the following order add:  salt, flour, bread improver and oil.  Now add the yeast mixture and mix with the dough hook.  Add more water and milk if needed until the dough is a little moist.  I find I always need to add that bit of extra water/milk until the consistency is just right.  The mixing bowl will also start to look very clean as the dough comes together.

Now you need some patience for the next step.  Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes.  As you knead you will notice the dough becomes lovely and soft and a lot smoother too.

Once kneaded flatten the dough with your hands into a rectangle and then roll with a rolling pin.  I cut the dough in half and roll out two seperate rectangles as I do one lot with vegemite and cheese and another with just the vegemite.

Ready to be topped.

Spread your choice of topping/s to cover the entire area making sure to go right up to the edges.  I smeared vegemite over both and then sprinkled freshly grated tasty cheese over one.  Roll the dough up into a sausage shape.  I also pinch the dough together a little at the join.  Once again bring out the dental floss.  Place the floss under the log where you want to slice, pull the two pieces of floss up, cross over at the top and then pull ends away from each other.  The floss gives you a clean, straight cut every time.

Here you can see how well the floss slices.

 Place the cut scrolls onto a baking tray and allow them to rise for about 20 minutes.  


Cut and in the process of rising.
After 20 minutes of rising the rolls were almost touching each other.  As I was trying to get them into the oven in time for our beautiful kids I forgot a photo.  Aaaaaah, next time.

Preheat your oven to 220°C ten minutes before you put the tray in the oven.

Once your scrolls have risen turn the oven down to 200°C and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.  You'll also know when they're ready by the amazing aroma.

I hope you enjoy these rolls as much as everyone here does. 



3 comments

  1. They look so delicious Kylie and I really like the idea of using dental floss to make a clean cut - must try this myself next time. Keep those delicious recipes coming! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I did make Rhonda's cheese rolls when she posted about them, Kylie. They were delicious. Yours looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I tend to make scone style scrolls, but these bread ones look nicer for savoury. And I reckon would keep better too. Scones tend to go stale fast. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top