Bits and Pieces

Whenever I do a little 'catch-up' post of our week it makes me realise just how much we do get done especially with a week of appointments.  It is actually a good feeling when you look back and reflect.  On top of appointments, work, school and other commitments there was still plenty of time together and getting things done other than the day to day jobs.

Our chickens new outdoor run is well underway thanks to my husband and daughter who have been spending most of their Saturday and Sundays out in the garage.

Laundry liquid was starting to run low and I also wanted to get another lot to Mum and Dad so a new batch was made.  

 Laundry liquid.


I have also managed to tick another item off my running list.  The kitchen fridge and freezer has been thoroughly cleaned and repacked.  I also checked my freezer list as I went along and was pleasantly surprised to find it was just right.  As I try and keep it up to date it only took half the time.  Everything was also still within it's 'use by' or 'best before' dates too.  Next job is under and behind the fridge.  That could be interesting as it's been a while.  You never know what you'll find there.

Our coffee table has a recipe book and a new book I've started called 'The Light Between Oceans.'  I've only just started however am enjoying it so far.




Always a lot happening in our kitchen.  The sauerkraut is almost ready.  It has been fermenting for three weeks and is looking good so far.  Hopefully one more week and it will be all ready.  This time I will need to get the next batch going straight away.

As our nut supply was starting to run low I have soaked and dried some more almonds, macadamias and walnuts.  I bought the walnuts from last months Farmer's Market and they are very tasty.  I love nuts to either snack on or use to make nut flours, nut milks and even porridge.


 Almonds blanched and ready for drying.


Almonds, macadamias, walnuts soaked overnight and now drying.

We had quite a full week of appointments last week so had a few 'banquet' nights and utilised those freezer meals.  I cook double batches whenever possible and freeze half for busy times and it makes it so much easier.

This week I'm making two recipes from the  Small Victories recipe book I've borrowed from the library.  Last night was Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk.  The kids weren't overly keen with it however my husband loves it.  

 Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk

Wednesday I'll be giving the Chicken and Ricotta Meatballs recipe a go.  Thursday a one pot Oven Baked Chicken and Rice which I found on the internet.  Hopefully I'll have some successes with these and be able to share the recipes next week.

This afternoon I took a 'cookie log' out of the freezer and had the cookies baking as the kids walked in from school.  They are now sitting down enjoying warm sultana cookies straight out of the oven.

Have a great week everyone.

4 comments

  1. I often make red lentil curry with coconut milk. It's a good source of protein. Sometimes I add a handful of spinach at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make some laundry liquid too! And that book -- I still couldn't finish it; I just feel so involved, LOL,

    You've reminded me to take a cookie log out of the freezer when I heat up the oven for the bread later. I hope you like the chicken and ricotta meatballs; they sound yum!

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how they go. I think chicken and ricotta is a good combination.

      Delete
  3. Those sultana cookies would be lovely just now, Kylie. It's cold and rainy here, a warm cookie would be just the treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top