A Week of New Recipes

This past week I included three new recipes to try and they've all been a success.  One of them made it into the 'Birthday Dinner' category.  Our daughter loved it that much she would like to have it on her birthday.  I was also informed that it can share Sunday night dinner which is always the same - step aside Spaghetti Bolognese.

It all started Monday with a recipe from my Australian Women's Weekly Best Ever Recipes book - Chicken, Leek and Asparagus Pie.  The recipe is a winner here and will be made again and again.  I served with steamed veggies.

Chicken, Leek and Asparagus Pie.


Wednesday night was another recipe from my Australian Women's Weekly book called Sausage and Tomato Casarecce.  This is the recipe which now comes in par with Spaghetti Bolognese.  It must be super good.

It uses a pasta which I hadn't used or even heard of before called Casarecce. The shape is quite different.  Two short pieces wrapped around each other.

Casarecce Pasta

The recipe also uses Italian-style sausages in which you remove the skins and break the meat into pieces.  Another bonus is it stretched over two nights and tasted even better the next day.  

All ready for dishing up.

Such a hearty and delicious meal in which everyone loved and quick enough to cook for a weeknight dinner.  

The new 'Birthday Dinner' recipe.

Friday our kids had the day home from school for parent/teacher interviews.  I wanted to give them a good hearty lunch to fill them up and also enjoy.  Well this Oven Fried Chicken recipe from Julie Goodwin ticked every box.  The kids had a great lunch and we have another recipe to add to our 'All-time Favourite' recipe collection.

Oven Fried Chicken - big tick.

Sunday night we had one more new recipe to try.  I left this one until now as I really enjoy having everyone home with the slow cooker going.  It creates a very cosy and warm feeling, lovely aromas when you walk in and a lovely warm kitchen.  The recipe is from my Down to Earth book.  I've had this book for a while now which I use often however had yet to make this Slow Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker.

The steps are so clear and easy to follow.  A few times as the meat browned I added a tiny bit of boiled water to the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.


Flour has just been mixed through.


Water added.  Beautiful brown, flavoursome sauce.


Everything in the slow cooker.  You can see the flavour.

I cooked it on low all day and then added the sliced potato one hour before serving.  


All ready to serve.

Slow Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker - another winner this week.

This current week is all about leftovers or should I say 'banquet nights' and freezer meals.  Next week's menu will include a few new recipes from a library book Small Victories.

I really like to menu plan and know what we are eating.  I also love hearing what others are eating for the week.  Do you menu plan and if so what is on your menu this week?



  
 







 

 

5 comments

  1. I get a bit slack with my menu planning, Kylie. I think I was more organised when I was working :-) Often I like to get out in the garden late in the day when the sun isn't shining so much as I don't want any more skin cancer dramas. Then it gets late and dinner needs to be put on :-( I try to use the slow cooker as much as possible though and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely if ever plan meals, dive in the freezer and go from there. Chicken and leek pie could be tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't menu plan. I know what I'll have for dinner tonight, but most of the time I change things as I cook. For example, I'd take potatoes to make a curry, then decide to fry them instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look so good. I'm getting hungry just looking at them. My daughter would love those pasta dishes. we've tried the oven fried chicken too and it was a hit.

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I make butter I will use the buttermilk to make the crumbed chicken. I've always wanted to give that a go.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top