Hot Cross Buns

With Easter just around the corner I really want to share this amazing Hot Cross Bun recipe with you.  The first time I made them (last week) I followed the recipe exactly.  It is a fantastic recipe as is however the second time round I made a few small changes.

First of all I knew I wanted to fully prep them the day before so everyone can have them fresh out of the oven for breakfast the next day.  After a quick little search on the internet I discovered that some people had success with leaving the dough in the fridge overnight however not everyone.  Some people said when they took them out the next morning they were fine however then went a little flat.  The recipe I follow does give the option of prepping the day before so I decided to give it a go.

Very happy to say it worked a treat.  As I'm a very early riser I took them out of the fridge in the morning and sat them on the bench to bring them to room temperature.  By the time everyone dwindled out to the kitchen they were just about ready to eat.  Hot Cross Buns fresh out of the oven - perfect!

The recipe comes from one of my favourite cookbooks 'The Australian Women's Weekly Best Ever Recipes.'

 I just love this book - thankyou  Down to Earth


You can also find the recipe on the Food to Love site Best-Ever Hot Cross Buns.

On Friday I made these wonderful buns again however I changed the quantity of the fruit as well as the mix for the crosses and prepped the day before.  They are just so, so good.

Here is how I made them with the different quantities as well as how I prepped the day before.

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
60g butter, chopped
1 cup apple juice, room temperature
7g dried yeast
1 egg, room temperature
2 tbsp grated orange rind
2/3 cup currants
2/3 cup sultanas
5 1/3 cups bread flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp salt

Flour mix for crosses:
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp caster sugar
1/4 cup cold water, approximately

Glaze:
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp powdered gelatine
1 tbsp water

Bring the milk to the boil in a small saucepan over a low to medium heat, careful not to burn.  Remove from the heat and stir in the honey and butter until melted and combined.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl add the bread flour, cinnamon and salt.  Mix to combine and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk the apple juice and yeast until fully dissolved.  Whisk in the egg and orange rind until combined.  Add the currants and sultanas and stir with a wooden spoon.  Add the combined flour, cinnamon and salt and then add the milk mixture.  Mix well using your hands.  Cover with a t-towel or plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Give the dough a light knead for 10 seconds and then return it to the bowl.  Cover once again, sit in warm place for 1 hour.

Dough after the second rise.


Divide the dough into 16 pieces each weighing approximately 90 grams.  I actually used the scales for this so I could have each bun the same size.  Shape the pieces into balls and place onto a baking dish lined with baking paper.

Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.

Ready for the fridge.

Next morning take the tray out of the fridge and sit them on the bench to bring them to room temperature.  I left them on the bench for approximately 2 hours.

Next morning.

As you can see they did rise a little more overnight.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (I use fan forced).

Whilst the oven is heating make the flour mix for the crosses.  Combine the flour and sugar in small bowl and gradually mix in just enough water to form a smooth paste.  Spoon into a piping bag and pipe your crosses.

My squiggly crosses.

Bake the buns for 18 minutes or until browned.

Remove from the oven and let them sit in the tray whilst you make the glaze.  Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and stir over a very low heat.  Make sure the mix doesn't boil.  As soon as the sugar and gelatine are dissolved remove from the heat.

Brush the buns with the glaze whilst they are still hot.  As soon as they are glazed place them onto a wire rack to cool.  I didn't want them sitting in the glaze and getting gooey bottoms.
Very hot, glazed and smelling superb.

Now is about the time the rest of the family rise and well I think they would do anything for you right now.  
It really doesn't get much better than that.  Woken by the lovely aromas wafting through from the kitchen and then sitting down with a Hot Cross Bun fresh out of the oven smeared with butter.

Will be making these every year.







1 comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top