Chicken Coconut Curry with Cauliflower Rice

I have literally just finished making this dish which I made up myself.  I'm one of those people who always follows a recipe.  I think it really all comes down to confidence.  From now I will have more faith in my cooking and believe I can create my own dishes.  I'm sure I'll have dishes which don't quite make the grade but with tweaking who knows. 

I've had similar dishes whilst eating out and love the flavours.  I've also been wanting to make cauliflower rice for such a long time now.  Aaaaaah why did I wait so long.  Mighty easy and delicious.

As this recipe is all in my head right now I thought it best to type it up straight away whilst it is still fresh.  I'm just so happy as it is exactly how I envisioned it to be as far as taste and looks.

Here I go, my very first recipe I can call my own.  

Chicken Coconut Curry with Cauliflower Rice


Ingredients for curry:
2 tablespoons oil for frying
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin or seeds
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 brown onion, diced
1 tsp ginger, finely diced
1 large eggplant
2 tsp celtic salt
1 cup diced sweet potato
500-600g chicken breast or thigh
1 can coconut milk

Ingredients for cauliflower rice:
1 tablespoon oil for frying
1 small cauliflower

Cut the eggplant into 2cm cubes and sprinkle with salt.  Let sit for 30 minutes, rinse and pat dry.

Eggplant sweating.
While you are waiting for the eggplant it's time to make the curry.  Heat the oil in a large fry pan.  Add the curry powder, cumin, sweet paprika and stir to form a paste.  Once a paste has formed and it has become fragrant add the onion and ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.  If it starts to become dry or stick add a small amount of boiled water to the pan and stir through.  The water deglazes, adds more flavour and colour.

Add the sweet potato to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the potato starts to soften.  Now you can add the eggplant and mix well.  Once again as it dries keep adding small amounts of boiled water, it works beautifully.  Cook for a further few minutes whilst stirring.


I had a little taste here and then added a little more curry powder.  This is optional but a good chance to check the flavours and adjust to your tastes.

Whilst the eggplant is cooking dice your chicken and then add to the pan and stir.

Chicken is now cooked.
Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked through stir through the coconut milk and simmer uncovered to heat through as well as reduce.  I simmered for about 10 minutes as I like the sauce a little thicker.


While the curry is simmering away it's time to make the cauliflower rice.  Cut the inner core and leaves off the cauliflower.  Break the florets apart and chop slightly.  Transfer the florets into a food processor.  I did this in two batches and made sure not to overfill the food processor - about 3/4.

Pulse the cauliflower on and off for a few seconds and transfer to a bowl.  Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.


Cauliflower rice.

Using a smaller fry pan heat the oil and add the cauliflower rice.  Turn the heat down, cover and cook for 6 minutes.  Make sure the heat is low otherwise it will start to brown.  

Serve the cauliflower rice with the curry and enjoy.














5 comments

  1. Ooh that looks so good. And I love cauliflower rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love curries and am very keen to make cauliflower rice too. It looks easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I haven't made cauliflower rice yet so that's one I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds delicious! I love making up recipes. I follow the recipe the first time I make something new and then................("adapt" would be a good word here). The only thing is I can very rarely reproduce a dish! The ingredients change depending on what I have on hand/in the garden/leftover. I will certainly be trying the cauliflower rice. Your blog is going really well. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words and I hope you enjoy your cauliflower rice 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top