A Big Welcome Home

Today was the day we welcomed home our very first chickens.  I was hooked straight away and we have had many, many cuddles already.

They are settling in so well.  Once we arrived home we took them straight to their new coop where they will stay for the next three days.  The kids and I have been in and out a few times.  They are now scratching around and eating with us in the coop with them.  Very relaxed when held too.  Holding them and hearing their little noises is just so soothing.

Little personalities are showing a little already.  We have managed a photo of all of them except for the very confident and cheeky Harriett.  Seems to be the boss already.  She is a lovely dark brown colour.

Then we have quiet and timid little Annie.  Over the day she has come out of her corner with us there and is moving around more now and eating.  She just needed a little more time.

 Here is little Annie on the left.
Eggsy is the darker one and always manages to get in photos.



Now Eggsy.  As far as confidence goes she would come just after Harriett.  Eggsy seems to be everywhere and into everything.  I think she is afraid she will miss out on something.

Eggsy always around for a photo.
Mmmm looks like she is planning an escape. 



Now we have Candy.  She seems to be the one who just goes with the flow.  I think she may be our laid back one.

Candy - nothing seems to faze her too much.



Then we have Floss.  I chose and named her and held her for so long whilst the others were choosing the other four chickens at the farm today.  OK I admit she may be my favourite.  She loves a cuddle this one.

Isn't she beautiful.  Our Floss.


I will post a photo of Harriett if she sits still long enough.  She is the one we have to really watch.  The second the door opens she makes a mad dash for it.  Very clever girl and on the ball.

Samson must be wondering what is happening.  He was very interested when they first arrived however before long he was snoozing away on the decking and not taking any notice.

Samson really checking things out here.


We have had such a great time throughout this whole journey.  I remember day one when we started pulling the cubby house down at Mum and Dad's.  Rebuilding it in our yard and then the outdoor coop as well.  Dad did so, so much and we couldn't have done this without him.  So many good memories, photos, laughs, discussions, cooking for everyone, having the kids involved plus much, much more.  Now the journey continues.







16 comments

  1. I have been looking forward to see your chookies, Kylie. Aren't they lovely! You will become so attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they've got me already. Absolutely smitten with them and so are the kids. The kids are finding them just as relaxing to be around as well. I think our girls will be good for them especially after school, wind down time.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wonderful, they will be most loved and cherished. I hope one day to so the same. Have a wonderful week.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope that you get the chance one day. I knew how much I liked chickens but even more so now. I keep going out and chatting with them. So friendly already and relaxed.

      Enjoy your week too.

      Delete
  3. Lol, our "boss hen" is named Henrietta. I wonder if Harriett and she are related!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that's funny. I think they just might be. Always has to be one who leads the way I guess.

      She did snuggle in my arms for quite a while yesterday. May be bossy but I think there also may be a very soft, sooky side to her as well. Time will tell.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh they're here! I love Floss, too -- her colour is just amazing, and look at those cute, black, webbed feet...

    The photo of Samson gave me a chuckle. Really poking his nose into other (chicken's) business!

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know they could have grey colour legs and feet until yesterday. Eggsy also has grey feet.

      Delete
  5. How lovely! I imagine everyone was so excited to finally bring them home and introduce them to their new chook house. Those eggs from your own hens are going to taste amazing! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Meg I think you'll hear us when we find our first egg. I really look forward to the taste as well.

      Delete
  6. Our son named her after the character nicknamed 'Eggsy' in the Kingsman: The Secret Service movie. He also named 'Candy' because I called mine 'Floss' :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your first chickens (I mean chooks, still working on my Australia terminology)! I look forward to hearing about your experience. I hope to someday get some as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are all having lots of chook fun - with lots more to come. Love the names.... enjoy! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you now have chickens, who named them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggsy and Candy our son.
      Annie - our daughter
      Harriet - hubby
      Floss - myself

      Our son chose Candy as I had Floss - 'Candy Floss.'

      My husband was so close to choosing Shrek as a name. There were some other funny names being suggested too.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top