'Unintentional Challenge' - Update

Here is a follow up from my very first post regarding my dishcloth challenge.

This challenge of mine has had me knitting every night.  My original dishcloth has been disintegrating right before my eyes.  It has been a race to the finish line.

Here is a photo of my original ‘disintegrating dishcloth’ taken just after its final run through the washing machine.  I believe the picture says it all.


 As you can see - on its last legs.



Whilst knitting this dishcloth I dropped stitches which created lovely little holes, created wonky edges and at time extra stitches.  It was certainly unique.

I was and am still so proud of it though.  This humble little dishcloth showed me how to cast on, follow patterns, purl and garter stitch, bind off, weave in ends and never give up.  The best part though would have to be that it showed me things don’t always have to be perfect.  My dishcloth may have had holes, varying widths plus many other things going on however it lasted 8 months of use and went through the washing machine countless times.  It kept going and going.  The other message it gave me was to be happy with the ‘good enough.’  I love this cloth for what it is and what it has taught me.

A few days ago I finished knitting a replacement in some purple leftover yarn.  Once again I have a very unique dishcloth.  I was knitting a certain pattern however missed something along the way and well my dishcloth was only about 5cm long and I had reached the end of the pattern instructions.  In the past I would have started all over again however I continued on using garter stitch.  I’m very happy with the final product once again and love the bright colour too.


New purple dishcloth - not a hole in site this time!

I have bid a final farewell to my little yellow dishcloth which taught me so much and now have this lovely bright purple one.

The next part of my little challenge - complete a second dishcloth.   I like to have two going so when one is being washed the other is in use.

Once again I am using leftover yarn which happens to be yellow.  I need to have this dishcloth finished rather quickly so it would make sense to knit in garter stitch all the way.  Nope, I’m trying this pattern again because I want to work out where I went wrong with the purple dishcloth.  A few nights ago I was knitting away and there was the light bulb moment.  Aaaaha that’s what happened.  I was supposed to repeat the first four rows six times however I repeated row four only the six times.  Happy to say that so far it is coming along nicely and I can see the little waffle pattern – yay!.
 

I shouldn't speak too soon but so far, so good

 I can see how these little dishcloths can become addictive especially for a slow knitter like myself.  They are not too long and you have a finished product before you know it which really gets you wanting to do more.  Then we have the patterns which have little pictures such as my teapot dishcloth.  They are a lot of fun.  I love watching the picture form as I knit.

Once I finish my current dishcloth I will be looking at some patterns with pictures.  However for the time being I need to - just keep knitting, just keep knitting……..

13 comments

  1. Good on you Kylie. I am not an expert knitter by any means and need to practise more as I let it go for too long at a time. The YouTube videos are great though when trying to learn how to do something. Love the colours of your dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chel.

      I agree about Youtube. If you find a really simple and clear tutorial it makes it so much easier.

      Delete
  2. I just love knitting dishcloths!! I find they are great to take on car trips...if you're not the driver of course!
    The waffle knit pattern is definitely my favourite, I think I currently have about 8 in circulation.
    Best of luck with the rest of your yellow one!
    Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassandra.

      I would love to be able to knit in the car only I get motion sickness. You would get so much done and the time would go by a lot faster too.

      Delete
  3. That is a well used dishcloth! Some of mine are starting to wear out so I will knit a few replacements. They are a great way of practicing stitches and patterns aren't they? I love the bright colours of your new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly did its time Sarah. After that last wash I found bits of yellow yarn here and there. Same day I completed the new one, I'm sure it was holding on for me :).

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your successful unintentional challenge! I haven't knitted in years and wonder if I would still remember how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would pick it up pretty quickly Julie.

      I think I'm catching the knitting bug or should I say dishcloth bug :).

      Delete
  5. Go girl! Great job! Love the way you have stuck at it! I find simple knitting so relaxing- hence the reason I have so many dishcloths!! I am thinking of gifts this year and they maybe part of the answer. Potholders have been my standard gift for a few years and I think the recipients may be "potholdered out". Practical/consumable gifts are the only way I go- we all seem to have enough stuff! Happy knitting, Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean by 'potholdered out'. Who knows I may have the same with dishcloths if I become too addicted. Friends and family will be all 'dishclothed out'.

      I totally agree about having too much stuff. A practical gift handmade also means so much more. Once I get onto knitting more dishcloths with pictures it will be fun to match the picture with the recipients interests.

      Delete
  6. Good job Kylie.
    Making a dishcloth is on my to-do list. First I need to learn knitting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found your blog from Weekend Reading on Down to Earth. I love your thoughts on perfection. Perfection can hold us back from having a go. When we realise that near enough is better than not even trying at all we are able to do so much more. Do you still have that imperfect, much used dishcloth? I hope you do. You can look at it when you need inspiration for life. We are all imperfect, but we try and that's good enough.. We get better when we try and that's
    good too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and I'm so glad you found my blog. I hope you enjoy.
      I don't have the dishcloth anymore however I have the photos and remember it has been the longest lasting so far.
      I couldn't agree more with trying and giving things a go. That's how we learn.
      Have a great day.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top