Playing in the Dirt!

We have had a beautiful day here with the sun shining all day.  This morning was just so calm, peaceful and the sun had just enough warmth.  Perfect morning in the garden.

Last week I completely harvested all of our kale and now have plans for our next planting.  This morning I put my gardening gloves on and started turning the soil in this section. The soil is amazingly soft now.  Hard to believe this was once so hard it was near impossible to dig at all.  It really gave me such a boost and wonderful feeling of satisfaction.  I literally said out loud - 'I did this, I made this soil.'  It was like I didn't quite believe it and by saying it out loud just confirmed it for me.

Oh and the smell as I dug around is just so fresh.  Also, completely lost count on how many worms I spotted.  I kept apologising to them if I accidentally got too close with the shovel.  I had dirt all over my shoes (old ones for gardening), legs, up my arms a little and even inside my gloves.  I was down on my hands and knees at one stage in the dirt pulling up a few weeds here and there too.  Never would have thought I would enjoy this so much.  It's hard to explain, you really need to experience it.  The smell really is one of the best parts for me.  Hard to believe I love the smell of dirt - or should I say soil.

Once I had turned the soil and pulled the weeds I covered the area with compost followed by mulch and finally watered it all in.  Next week I will plant broccoli seedlings.  The garden did teach me something else today.  Broccoli, cauliflower and kale all belong in the same family.  Best to avoid planting members of the same family after one another.  As the kale was in this area I am a little skeptical with planting the broccoli in the same area.  I decided to give it a go however when planning my layout next year will now take this into consideration.  

 All ready for Broccoli seedlings next week.




 
Next to this section are our zucchinis.  They are still going however slowed down a lot.  I have removed most of the plants now and just have a few left which still have some zucchinis growing.  Over the coming weeks I will remove these as well and make room for cauliflower.  Last week I was given a punnet of cauliflower seedlings which I will be able to use in this area.

My very first punnet of Cauliflower.


One thing I have been wanting for a long time is a lemon tree.  Warm water with freshly squeezed lemon juice is the first thing I have every single morning.  I have been known to gobble slices of lemons, skin and all.  Recently I had a meal at a restaurant with my daughter and there was a slice of lemon in our glasses of water.  Halfway through the meal she noticed my lemon was missing so asked me where it was.  I had eaten it - the look on her face said everything.  You could imagine how happy I was when presented with my very own lemon tree compliments of my husband and the kids.

Another first - my own lemon tree.



A little update on the eggplant.  Every few days I give the flowers a gentle shake to pollinate and now have little eggplants popping up everywhere.  Looking at the size of the first few it won't be long now before I can harvest.  I am actually growing eggplant - big smiles.

aaaaaah look at these - I have eggplant!


Another little surprise for me this morning was spotting a very small pumpkin.  I remember sowing jap pumpkin seeds directly into the garden and hoping for the best.  They have been taking a very long time and I was starting to wonder if they would grow at all.  Today was the dayAnother squeal of delight and 'we have pumpkin' may have slipped out too.

Yet another first - Jap Pumpkin.


As I said in my previous post the garden gives so much.  Well, this morning was one of the best ways to start my day.  The garden was just full of surprises for me today and gave me so, so much joy.  

One happy little gardener signing off...........



10 comments

  1. I liked to see your enthusiasm for your garden. It is exciting to see things grow, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie, I love my garden and the dirt and worms and weeds! I am so pleased that you are getting so much pleasure from your too. You have got to love a lemon tree!
    Sounds like you have lots of things worked out. I am still picking lots of tomatoes, a few zuks and cucumbers, basil and kale. I do need to plant on more veggies but it is still hot here so I will hold off for awhile. I grew okra for the first time this year - not sure about it. Nice plants, nice flowers but the actual vegetable is a bit ordinary. (Maybe I did not cook it properly. Need to research that!) At the moment I think I will grow eggplants instead next year. Happy Happy gardening. Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me Jo. If something doesn't quite work I find out why and do a little research. I've learnt so much this way.

      I did plant broccoli seedlings at the beginning of March however I wasn't successful there. After looking into it I have come to the conclusion that it is still too warm. I'm holding off a tad bit longer and giving it another go. I love that actually. It's exactly how I envisioned doing things. Working with the environment, different weather conditions etc. A book is great yes but the environment changes and I'm learning to mould with it.

      Thanks for visiting and I look forward to hearing how your next crop goes too.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kylie,
      I have planted some winter veggies in a couple of the small clear plastic boxes with flip over lids that some apples come in at the supermarket. (not great packaging for the planet but very useful little hothouses!) I used mushroom compost that I keep damp, They are placed under a fruit tree - warm and filtered light. Brocolli???? spelling? is up and so is the spinach. Just an idea-it worked when I started the summer veggies off and it was still too cold to plant in the garden. You can also move them to follow the sun or find shade. Happy gardening. It will be great when you have your own chicken manure fertilizer. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much. I would never have thought to use those containers. Well done.

      Delete
  3. Oh - a lemon tree - that will serve you well fro decades to come

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your garden is looking! It's hard to inagine you've only just started gardening recently.

    Our brassicas aren't ready to be transplanted, but with the rain recently they've certainly grown fast.

    Love the lemon tree. Which dwarf variety is it? I like the mouth puckering ones so we planted a dwarf Lisbon (among others). I swear you'll be addicted to fruit trees in no time. They are a real joy to have in the garden, and will be giving you heaps in the years to come.

    -mrsmeagre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is called a Citrus Meyeri - the Meyer Lemon. I have heard of Lisbon however not this one I have. Then again I am very new to gardening.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, just so you know for the future some types of kale can be considered a perennial. If you keep picking the bottom leaves the plant keeps getting taller and taller and looks like a little palm tree. OH had some at his farm which were over a metre tall and had been growing for over a year. I know how much you like kale so I thought you would like to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip. I will trim from the bottom with my next crop of kale. As I was reading your comment it reminded me of a photo Rhonda had posted of her kale - it was huge, so tall.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top