First Post and Unintentional Challenge


Well here I am typing my very first post.  I’ve lost count just how many times I have already backspaced and started again.



A little less than a year ago I started learning how to knit.  I spent a lot of time learning how to cast on and off, weave in ends and fix countless holes and dropped stitches.  Still working on that bit.



My knitting inspiration came from one of my much beloved books by Rhonda Hetzel called Down to Earth.  This was one of the first books I read with regards to simple living and I haven’t looked back.

 My much loved Down to Earth book




Rhonda has included a knitting pattern for a dishcloth which uses plain and purl stitches.  Off I went and before I knew it I had knitted two yellow dishcloths.  Yes, they had holes and were a little lopsided but that didn’t matter to me one bit.  I honestly thought that my knitting was going to come apart after one use however I’m proud to say they kept on going.  I then became a little more adventurous and found a pattern for another dishcloth with a picture of a teapot.

Made for my husband's teapot plunger





Well that was about 8 months ago now.  My two original dishcloths have been used every single day, put through the washing machine over and over and have lasted all this time.  Now they are in desperate need of replacing as my original ‘knitting holes’ have grown quite large, edges are coming apart and well, let's just say there isn’t much left of them now.


I refuse to buy new dishcloths so begins the 'unintentional challenge' of completing new ones before it's too late.  Out comes my trusty Down to Earth book and I am now madly knitting away once again.  Certainly not the fastest of knitters either which just adds to my little challenge.



A few nights ago I ran into a little issue with my knitting which is nothing unusual.  Anyway, I reached the end of the instructions however my dishcloth had only grown 5-6cm.  I’ve no idea what I did there.  Really, how did I get that wrong?  Anyway, I’ve since decided that I’ll just keep knitting plain stitch until it reaches the length I’m happy with otherwise I will run out of time.  Once complete I will get straight onto another one as I like to have two going.  I wash them frequently so when one is in the wash the other is being used.

 
New dishcloth I'm knitting - now in plain stitch!


Over the next few weeks you will find me on the couch every night madly knitting away before my original dishcloths totally fall apart.


The race is on………..

15 comments

  1. Ha ha Kylie I have the same trouble with making mistakes or forgetting where I am up to. Your first post....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you blogging. Followed you over from the DTE forum. x Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. followed you here too! well done on your knitting adventures
    quite often you just need to repeat the pattern til you have the desired length you want, plus a lot are done on very thick cotton rather than the 8 ply, so it knits up larger. you could quite easily resume your pattern if you want more interest; knitpicks has lots of dish cloth patterns for you to practice some knitting on as well, if you'd like to keep going; happy knitting!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a look at knitpicks. Thankyou for the suggestion. I have kept the link so I'm sure you will see plenty more with lovely pictures.

      Delete
  4. You have given me the encouragement to start knitting again. What wool are you using?

    Love the blog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To know I've given you some encouragement makes my day!

      I am using leftover yarn I have from my first dishcloths. I purchased them from Lincraft - 8ply cotton.

      I look forward to hearing about your knitting.

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, it's just over a year since I knitted my first dishcloth. It took a long while and looked a bit haphazard but it was an achievement and I've knitted a few more since. They are a bit addictive. My inspiration came from reading Rhonda's blog. A lovely first post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are addictive. Have you tried the ones with pictures? I just love watching the picture emerge as you knit.

      Thank you so much for visiting, so happy you're here.

      Delete
  6. good for you Kylie, I just make the dishcloth as long and large as i want and stop when its the right size. I think individual knit stitches determine the size. Sometimes I have small tight stitches and sometimes they are loose depending on the style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that makes perfect sense. A guess quite a few things come into play here. Tension, needle size, yarn.

      Delete
  7. Hi Kylie, great work on the dishcloths. I do most of mine in garter stitch now (plain) and only go a bit fancier when I knit some for gifts.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. It's good having you here. :- )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kylie
    Congratulations on your blog.
    Your knitting will come along in leaps and bounds now, and garter stitch is so versatile for anything you knit.
    Lavenderlassl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kylie,
    I have a bit of an addiction to knitting dishcloths! I think I have a lifetime supply and still I knit! Great gifts and a good opportunity to try out new knitting patterns. I actually like my striped "left over yarn bits" ones the best!! Well done on the knitting...Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't Rhonda just brilliant??!! I am saving up to buy her last two books. She is like the Grandmother I wished for. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love having her books where I can see them and I use them all the time. I remember constantly borrowing Down To Earth from the library before I purchased it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top