Banana Honey Walnut Muffins

Here is a banana muffin recipe with a bit of a twist.

I was staring at this banana in our fruit bowl which was looking rather sad for a few days and thinking of how I would use it.  I decided on the good old banana muffin however was looking for something a little different.  It didn’t take long before I found something which caught my eye – ‘Banana Honey Walnut Muffins’.


The recipe can be found on a site called Once Upon A Chef and you will find the link by clicking here.  I’m glad I stumbled upon this site as there are some great recipes.  They cater for different occasions, special diets and have also created menus for different areas.  Well worth having a look.

These banana muffins are very light, fluffy and full of flavour.  Compared to making muffins the more traditional way of mixing the dry and wet ingredients together with a wooden spoon, this recipe uses the creaming method as you would with cakes.

Once baked I couldn’t wait to let the kids try them.  They loved them!  They’ve asked me to use this recipe all the time now for banana muffins.  One part of me was so happy they worked out however the other part was thinking ‘oh what have I done.’  Making banana muffins the traditional way is very quick and easy, I think I’ve just created some extra work.  Well, I think they are most definitely worth the extra time.


Cooling in tin - waiting, waiting..........




Are you ready to make some really delicious muffins?

Let’s go…….

You will need the following ingredients:

¾ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey, divided
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1½ cups plain flour, sifted
1½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk

I then preheated the oven to 180ºC and greased a twelve cup muffin tin.  You can use paper liners however I find it easier without.

In a small bowl mix the walnuts with the 1 tablespoon of honey and cinnamon.  I found it easier to mix with my fingertips.  A bit like the rubbing in method you would use with butter and flour.  This made it easier to really coat those nuts well.

Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl, whisk and set aside.

Now roughly chop the butter and place into a large bowl together with the caster sugar and remaining 1/3 cup honey.  Using an electric mixer, beat until fluffy.

Using medium speed add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.

Slice the banana and add to mixture along with the vanilla extract.  Beat until blended.  At low speed beat in the dry ingredients in two batches alternating with the milk.

Spoon the mixture into your muffin tin and top with the walnut mixture.  Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.  The tops should be golden.

Let the muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!

So happy with these muffins.




2 comments

  1. Kylie your kids would love you for making those yummy muffins. I don't think muffins were around too much when my children were growing up as they were born in the 1980s. I did bake banana cake though I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making 'dead banana' muffins, the blacker and squooshier, the better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top